Start your holiday party with this easy appetizer, pairing sweet-savory California sweetpotatoes and wine-plumped California figs. The combination is irresistible!
Sweetpotato Crostini with Red Wine California Figs
Makes 30 crostini
1 large baguette, sliced into thirty 1/4-inch rounds
For the sweetpotato spread
1 pound orange-fleshed sweetpotatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 3 cups)
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
For the red wine California figs
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup fresh orange juice (from 1 orange)
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 cup sliced Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid California Figs (4 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Toast the baguette slices until stiff, about 12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the sweetpotato spread: In a medium saucepan, boil or steam the sweetpotatoes until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a medium microwaveable bowl, combine the honey, olive oil, and rosemary and microwave until warm, about 25 seconds. Add the sweetpotatoes and mash the mixture to a paste. Add the salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the red wine figs: In a small saucepan over high heat, combine the wine, orange juice, and brown sugar and heat until just boiling. Add the figs, cover, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- To assemble the crostini: Drain the figs. Spread the crostini with the sweetpotato mixture, top with one or two sliced figs, and serve.
Recipe and photo by Annelies Zijderveld