Serves: 20 side servings
2 pounds of California sweetpotatoes, cut into small cubes
5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
1 clove garlic, minced
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 bunch red kale, stems removed, leaves sliced into wide ribbons
1 cup lentils
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons grainy Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss cubed sweetpotatoes with 1 tablespoon olive oil and spread on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast sweetpotates for 20-25 minutes, until tender, shaking pan one or two times during cooking.
2. Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onions and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the minced ginger and sauté 1 minute more. Stir in the cumin and turmeric for 30 seconds.
3. Add kale and ½ cup water and cook, stirring frequently, until the kale is cooked down. Remove the kale and onion mixture from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
4. Place lentils, 1 cup broth, and 1 cup water in the pot, bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer covered for 20-25 minutes until water is absorbed and lentils are cooked, but not mushy.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
6. Combine lentils and roasted sweetpotatoes with kale mixture. Toss with dressing and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Like Superman and Wonder Woman, sweetpotatoes and kale are one dynamic duo. Jessica Levinson, from Nutritioulicious created this Kale & Sweetpotato Lentil Salad partnering two super foods both rich in essential nutrients. It’s a perfect healthy salad whether you’re trying to leap tall buildings in a single bound or just enjoying the summer sun.