Summer is here and what better way to cool off than with a Sweetpotato Applebake with Cinnamon Sweetpotato Ice Cream! This dessert, by Jessie Erin of The Happiness in Health, will surely be a hit at your next barbeque bash or summer pool party.
• 4 medium California sweetpotatoes, peeled
• 3 medium tart apples
• ¾ cup brown sugar
• 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 2 tablespoons maple syrup
Cinnamon Sweetpotato Ice Cream
• 2 medium California sweetpotatoes, peeled
• 2 large ripe bananas, sliced into ½-inch thick slices
• 1/3 cup brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 medium California Sweetpotatoe, peeled and sliced into 1/8 inch thick slices
• 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1. At least five hours before baking, bring large pot of water to a boil and add six sweetpotatoes. Lower heat and simmer for 35 minutes. Remove and set aside.
2. Cut two sweetpotatoes into 1-inch cubes. Spread cubes and sliced bananas on baking sheet and freeze for at least 4 hours. Refrigerate remaining four sweetpotatoes.
3. Preheat oven to 250 degrees and line baking sheet with sweetpotato chips evenly. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 45 minutes, flipping chips halfway through baking.
4. Remove and allow to cool. Raise oven temperature to 350 degrees.
5. Remove four sweetpotatoes from refrigerator and slice into ½ inch thick slices.
6. Peel, core, and slice apples into ½-inch thick slices.
7. Cut six squares of parchment paper; arrange squares on baking sheet slightly overlapping.
8. Arrange slices in six circles on parchment paper, alternating sweetpotatoes and apples overlapping the edges.
9. Sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, and drizzle with maple syrup.
10. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until brown and bubbly
11. Place frozen sweetpotatoes, frozen banana slices, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy.
12. Use a large spatula and parchment paper to transfer sweetpotato circles to warm plates.
13. Spoon ice cream in the middle of each circle, top with a sweetpotato chip and serve immediately.