Few would argue that sweet, salty and crisp make up the trifecta of irresistible. So give into your desires and try this amazing recipe for BBQ Sweetpotato Chips by our friend Gaby of WhatsGabyCooking.com.
- 4 California Sweetpotatoes
- Canola Oil for Frying
- 1-½ tablespoons Sweet Paprika
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Heat the canola oil in a large heavy bottom Dutch oven over medium high heat.
- While the oil is heating up, thinly slice the California sweetpotatoes using a mandolin.
- In a small dish, mix together the spices and season with salt
- Once the oil is hot, transfer a handful of the sliced California sweetpotatoes into the oil and fry for a few minutes until crisp. Using a pair of tongs or a slotted spoon, flip the chips over halfway through the frying process to ensure even cooking.
- Once the chips are crisp, remove them from the hot oil using a slotted spoon and transfer them onto a paper towel lined baking sheet. While the chips are still wet with oil, dust them with the homemade BBQ seasoning mixture.
- Let the chips dry and any excess oil be absorbed by the paper towel.
- Once the chips are cooled, serve as needed.
- Alternatively, if you’re saving these for later, let them cool even more, and store them in an airtight container for up to 3 days.