3 California Sweetpotatoes, scrubbed and roughly chopped
2 locally grown bell peppers, diced
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1/2 large or 1 medium Vidalia onion, diced
1 large apple, cored and roughly chopped
1 package pre-cooked chicken sausage links (6), sliced*
1.5 tbsp. coconut oil, divided
1 tsp dark brown sugar
1 tsp smoked paprika
salt, to taste
cayenne pepper, to taste
* I like to slice my sausage on the diagonal. More exposed surface area for searing!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a large cookie sheet or roasting pan with aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, toss California sweetpotatoes with remaining 1 tbsp coconut oil. Heat a large skillet to medium-high heat and quickly sauté sweetpotatoes until just seared (note: this step is optional but it locks in the flavor and lends to a crispy crust). Mix sweetpotatoes with apple chunks, brown sugar, smoked paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Dump apple and sweetpotato mixture onto the prepared roasting pan or cookie sheet and place in oven, stirring frequently.
- While potatoes and apples are roasting, sear chicken sausage over medium high heat.
- Add onion/garlic/peppers and sausage to the California sweetpotato mixture, stirring well to combine. Continue to cook (about 10 minutes) until sweetpotatoes are fork tender.
Recipe courtesy of Seven Ate Nine