1 tsp butter
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp fresh thyme
1 1/4 cup 1% milk, divided
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp cornstarch
2 oz. (1/2 cup) shredded Gruyere cheese
2 California sweetpotatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 oz. (1/2 cup) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
Prep time: 20 min.
Cook time: 35-45 min.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Add onion and sauté for about 5-7 minutes until softened and lightly golden. Add garlic and thyme and stir for 30 seconds.
- Stir in 1 cup milk, salt, paprika, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a low boil, stirring constantly, and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stir together remaining 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch, and add to the simmering milk. Simmer for another minute, stirring constantly, then remove from heat. Add in gruyere and stir until melted.
- Layer half of the sliced potatoes into an 8 inch square or circle baking dish. Pour half of the cheese-milk sauce over the potatoes. Top with the other half of the potatoes and pour the remaining cheese sauce on top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese, and cover with foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 5-10 minutes until potatoes are done and cheese is bubbly. Let sit for about 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!